Poster Presentations by Medical Students
The following poster presentations were created by medical students who participated in the Medical Student Summer Research Program. Posters are created for the Medical Student Summer Research Symposium held annually in February.
Directory of Student Posters
Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (VA Boston Healthcare System)
- Increased Neuroinflammation in Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, Lauren Ferrerosa, 2013.
- Accelerated Protein Deposition in Individuals Affected with both Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy and Lewy Body Dementia, Christopher Leung, 2013.
- Neuropathology in Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) with Motor Neuron Disease Compared to CTE and ALS, Trever Symalla, 2013.
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
- Neurobiological substrates of recovery of fine motor function in a monkey model of ischemic stroke, Allison Bond, 2012.
Department of Biochemistry
- Investigating Prion Toxicity through Characterization of Mutant Prion Proteins, Gregory Bever, 2011.
- The Influence of Stretch and Proteases on an Engineered 3D Extracellular Matrix, Kelsey Derricks, 2011.
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Dermatology
- Longwave ultraviolet light induces the aging-associated progerin in melanocytes, Sheila Firoozan, 2013.
- Melanoma Assay Based on NRP-2: Determination of NRP-2 Expression in Lentigo Maligna Melanoma, Katherine Riedy, 2013.
- Evaluation of Novel Melanoma Biomarkers in Human PatientsEvaluation of Novel Melanoma Biomarkers in Human Patients, Michelle Min, 2013.
- KIT in Atypical Acral Nevi – an immunohistochemical and genetic appraisal, Elizabeth Park, 2011.
- Evaluation of a Novel Small Molecule HAT Inhibitor as an Anticancer Therapy in Human Melanomas, Courtney Elm, 2012.
- Melanoma DNA repair after treatment with a novel histone acetyltransferase (HAT) inhibitor, Emily Holick, 2012.
- Neuropilin-2 as a Novel Biomarker for Melanoma, Archana Rajender, 2012.
Department of Emergency Medicine
- Evaluation of Patient Understanding of Emergency Department Discharge Instructions: Use of a Scale to Assess Self Efficacy to Carry Out Discharge Instructions, Luke Stevens, 2013.
Department of Family Medicine
- Psychosocial Adjustment and Identity Formation Following Aphasic Stroke, Benjamin Musser, 2012.
Department of Health Law, Bioethics, & Human Rights (B.U. School of Public Health)
- Religion and Public Health: Developing a Novel Curriculum, Miriam Segura-Harrison, 2013.
Department of Medicine
- Connexin 43 (Cx43) Upregulation Protects Retinal Endothelial Cells Against High Glucose Insult, Kevin Barrette, 2013.
- Cardiovascular Medicine: Increased Myocardial Matrix Metalloproteinase Activity in Mice with Systolic and Diastolic Heart Failure, Parul Agarwal, 2013.
- Cancer Center: Mechanism of Re-Expression of Imprinted Pro-Apoptotic Gene, ARHI, in Breast and Ovarian Cancer Cells After HDACi and Calpeptin Combination Therapy, Shannon Byler, 2013.
- Cancer Center: Epigenetic Regulation of hTERT Expression in Breast Cancer Cells: Analysis of Methylation Status, Expression Levels, and Apoptosis with HDACi and Calpeptin Combination Therapy, Sarah Goldgar, 2013.
- Cancer Center: Combination Therapy of Ovarian Cancer by HDAC Inhibitors and Calpain Inhibitor: Allele-Specific Imprinted Pro-apoptotic Gene Expression, Shannon Kokolus, 2012.
- Section of General Internal Medicine: Gender, Initiation, Engagement and Retention among Buprenorphine Patients in an Integrated Primary Care-based Addiction Treatment Program, Kaylyn Duerfeldt, 2012.
- Section of Gastroenterology: Synthetic Cyclohexenyl Chalcone Natural Products Possess Cytotoxic Activities and are Protease Inhibitors, Arvind Reddy Devanabanda, 2012.
- Section of General Internal Medicine: Defining Cancer Survivorship, Estee Fleischman, 2012.
- Section of General Internal Medicine: Postpartum changes in methadone dose among women in methadone maintenance treatment, Leah Kaminetzky, 2012.
- Section of General Internal Medicine: Development and Reliability of a Method to Assess Academic Productivity, Emily Kim, 2012.
- Section of Vascular Biology: Liver-Specific SRIT1 Knockout Mice Are Susceptible Diet-induced Obesity and Insulin Resistance and Decrease Whole Body Energy Expenditure, Sok Lee, 2012.
- Section of Vascular Biology: Functional Impairment Predicts Cardiac & Peripheral Vascular Events in Patients with Peripheral Artery Disease, Farhana Sharmeen, 2012.
- The Effects of Sunlight and Vitamin D Supplementation on the Vitamin D Status in the Republic of Georgia, Nilay Sutaria, 2012.
- Cancer Center: Exploration of a Combination Therapy on Breast Cancer Cells by HDAC Inhibitors and Calpain Inhibitor, Amrita Devalapalli, 2011.
- Effects of Inhibiting High GlucoseInduced Upregulation of ECM on Connexin 43 Expression in Retinal Endothelial Cells, Jessica Moon, 2011.
- Section of Endocrinology: Variable effect of endogenous endotoxin on B cell function in obese patients with or without type 2 diabetes, Jeanette Zhang, 2011.
Department of Neurology
- Stroke risk after blunt cerebrovascular injury with dissection, Nina Farivari, 2013.
- Characteristics of Parkinson’s Disease Presentation and Management: a Comparison of Caucasians and Minorities, Alyson Kaplan, 2013.
- The Utility of a Neurophysiology OSCE in Neurology Resident Assessment and Education, Justin McCool, 2013.
- Comparison of CT and MR-DWI ASPECTS in acute ischemic strokeComparison of CT and MR-DWI ASPECTS in acute ischemic stroke, Collin Culbertson, 2013.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Center: Subjective Cognitive Complaints Among Older Adults, Aaron Der, 2012.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Center: Clinical research risk assessment in individuals with mild cognitive impairment, Hugo Carmona, 2012.
- Erdheim-Chester Disease: A Case Study, BaiJing Qin, 2012.
- Long Term Psychological Impact of Alzheimer’s Disease Genetic Risk Disclosure, Stephen Alerhand, 2011.
- Metacognitive Instructions Facilitate the Distinctiveness Heuristic in MCI/AD, Neil Nadkarni, 2011.
- An Assessment of Abuse and Violence in Neurology Clinic Patients, Ashley Rogue, 2011.
Department of Neurosurgery
- shRNA Knockdown Constructs Qualitatively Reduce Expression of p27 in Cultured Cells, Brian Curry, 2012.
- A Subconcussive Load Effect & Trauma Profile for Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy: A Meta-analysis of New Trends, Philip Montenigro, 2012.
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Division of Gynecologic Oncology: Uterine cancer at Boston Medical Center – Do racial disparities exist in our patient population?, Jacob Shin, 2012.
- Contraceptive Awareness Among Male Partners of Abortion Patients, Kathy Zhao, 2012.
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Mechanism of Obesity-Related Osteoporosis in the Absence of Insulin Resistance, Danielle Salazar, 2012.
Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Teaching and Assessing Microscopy Skills in Med Students, Stephanie Wong, 2013.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Presbycusis: Is there a relationship?, Alessandra Sax, 2013.
- Correlating Singing Voice Handicap to Videostrobolaryngoscopy in Healthy Professional Singers, Liliana Castelblanco, 2012.
- Significance of Serum Total IgE in the Diagnosis of Allergic Rhinitis, Daniel Chung, 2012.
- Division of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Femininity as a Predictor for Male Attractiveness, Dominick Gadaletam, 2012.
- Discovery of Small Compound With Melanoma Growth Inhibitory Characteristics using a High Throughput Screen, Abhishek Ganta, 2011.
Department of Pathology
- RNF-121 Assistance is Critically Required for VEGFR-2 Mediated Angiogenesis, Apar Gupta, 2012.
- Profiling microRNA from urine cytology as a potential method of diagnosing Urothelial Carcinoma, Van Le, 2011.
Department of Pediatrics
- Factors associated with Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine acceptance among Haitian and African-American parents of adolescent sons, Jared Walsh, 2012.
- Division of Infectious Diseases: Measuring the duration of detectable elicited humoral immunity following Tdap booster, Cheryl Hendricks, 2011.
Department of Radiology
- Radiation Oncology: The Evaluation of Chemoradiotherapy Toxicity and Outcome in Head and Neck Cancer, Jennifer Logue, 2013.
- The Effectiveness of Post-Treatment PET/CT Scans in Predicting Outcome in Patients with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Nicholas Wilson, 2013.
- Radiation Oncology: The impact of race, primary language, marital status, and insurance type on mortality in breast and prostate cancer patients, Divya Ahuja, 2013.
- The Effect of Body Mass Index on Survival in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer, Jennifer Hammond, 2013.
- The impact of radiologists’ recommendations in PET/CT reports on survival in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, Regan Ferraro, 2013.
- CT and MRI Temporal Bone Findings in Osteogenesis Imperfecta with Audiologic Correlation, Peter Hoang, 2013.
- Radiation Oncology: Reliability of In vivo FDG metabolic tumor volume and pathological volume, PraveenSridhar, 2012.
- Value of Quantitative18 F-Flourodeoxyglucose Uptake in Distinguishing Benign Physiological Uptake Versus Malignant Lesions of Nasopharynx, Dan Filitis, 2011.
- Role of PET/CT in differentiation between benign and malignant parotid gland tumors, David Hadiprodjo, 2011.
- Intra-observer Variation in FDG Metabolic and Anatomic Imaging Biomarkers in Head and Neck Cancers: A prospective Study, Stella Lam, 2011.
Department of Surgery
- A Histone Deacetylase Inhibiter that Reduces Intraabdominal Adhesions in an Animal Model Modulates Genes Pertaining to Fibrin Deposition in Cultured Human Mesothelial Cells, Charles Gruver, 2013.
- Substance P is an Early Regulator of Peritoneal Fibrinolytic Pathways and Promotes Intraabdominal Adhesion Formation, Anthony Esposito, 2012.
- Surgical Outcomes and Satisfaction in Patients after IPAA: Can a failed ileal pouch be salvaged?, Michael Hwang , 2012.
- Identification of predictors of complications following ileal pouch-anal anastomosis, Francis Kim, 2012.
- The role of pre-operative anorectal manometry in predicting patient satisfaction following ileal pouch-anal anastomosis, Didi Pathak, 2012.
- Surgical Critical Care: Long-term Effects of Cholecystectomy on Cardiovascular Health, Timothy Woodward and Xue-Wei Zhang.
- Evaluating Computed Tomography Utilization for Thorax and Abdomen Trauma at an Urban Trauma Center, Matthew Egyud, 2011.
- The Use of a Registry to Improve Postoperative Outcomes, Kunal Tandon, 2011.
- Evaluating Computed Tomography Utilization for Head Trauma Patients in an Urban Trauma Center, David Veltre, 2011.
- Determining the Biological Significance of microRNA-7 in Transfected Papillary Thyroid Cancer Cell Lines, Flint Wang, 2011.
- Role of Oxidative Stress and Substance P in the Formation of Intra-abdominal Adhesions, Jacob Wood, 2011.