Michael K. Lichtman, MD
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
Peter E. Pochi Junior Chair of Research
Boston University School of Medicine
To Schedule An Appointment: 617-638-7420
Shapiro Ambulatory Care Center
725 Albany Street, Suite 8B, Boston, MA 02118
Boston University School of Medicine, Dept of Dermatology
609 Albany Street, Boston MA, 02118
|1999||BA||Middle Eastern Studies, magna cum laude, Emory University, Atlanta, GA|
|2005||MD||University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA|
|2006||Internship||New York Presbyterian, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY|
|2009||Residency||Dermatology, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX|
|Postdoc Fellow||Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
Clinical Specialties and Research Interests
- Wound Healing, Autoimmune Diseases, Complex Medical Dermatology
I am intrigued by the intersection of the cutaneous immune system and wound healing therapies. In particular, I hope to study if mesenchymal stem cells may be isolated from one donor, expanded in culture, and used to treat many unrelated patients without being rejected. This would expand the number of people who may benefit from this novel therapy (developed by Dr. Falanga’s lab).
As mesenchymal stem cells may expand regulatory T cells, I also hope to study the use of mesenchymal stem cells in cutaneous autoimmune diseases.
Finally, I am also interested in the role of mesenchymal stem cells in the pathogenesis of systemic sclerosis.
- Markova A, Kam SA, Miller DD, Lichtman MK. Common cutaneous parasites. Annals of Internal Medicine. In press.
- Lichtman, MK, Countryman NB. Cell phone-assisted identification of surgery site. Dermatologic Surgery. 2013 March: 491-2.
- Gehad AE, Lichtman MK1, Schmults CD, Teague JE, Calarese AW, Jiang Y, Watanabe R, Clark RA. Nitric oxide-producing myeloid-derived suppressor cells inhibit vascular e-selectin expression in human squamous cell carcinomas. J Invest Dermatol. 2012 Jun 21 (epub ahead of print).
- Kim SH, McQueen PG, Lichtman MK, Shevach EM, Parada LA, Misteli T. Spatial genome organization during T-cell differentiation. Cytogenetic and Genome Research. 2004; 105 (2-4): 292-301.
- Klebanoff CA, Finkelstein SE, Surman DR, Lichtman MK, Gattinoni L, Theoret MR, Grewal N, Spiess PJ, Anthony PA, Palmer DC, Tagaya Y, Rosenberg SA, Waldmann TA, Restifo NP. IL-15 enhances the in vivo antitumor activity of tumor-reactive CD8+ T-cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2004 Feb 17:101(7):1969-74.
- Hanke CW (ed.), Lichtman MK, Bartus B, Tierney E, Leonard A, Levy R, Hsiung S, Strober (associate eds.), The 2012/2013 Dermatology in Review Study Guide. Sanovaworks. 2012.