Mei-Yu Hsu, MD, PhD
Boston University School of Medicine
609 Albany Street, J-203A
Boston, MA 02118
|1992||MD||Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan|
|1997||PhD||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA|
|1997-1998||Post-doc fellowship||Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA|
|1998-2002||House Staff||Dept of Pathology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|2002-2003||Fellowship||Dermatopathology, Dept of Dermatology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX|
Clinical Specialties and Research Interests
Dr. Mai-Yu Hsu received her MD summa cum laude from Kaohsiung Medical University in Taiwan and her PhD in Molecular Cell Biology under the mentorship of Dr. Meenhard Herlyn from the University of Pennsylvania, where she is the recipient of the Saul Winegrad Dissertation Award. She is a Diplomat of the American Board of Pathology in AP and CP and the American Board of Pathology and Dermatology in Dermatopathology. In addition to her clinical interest in dermatopathology, Dr. Hsu oversees an active NIH-funded research program, which revolves around the biological significance of morphogenic pathways, particularly bone morphogenetic proteins, in melanoma morphogenesis, heterogeneity, and homeostasis. Using expression analyses, molecular manipulation of target gene expression and functional assays in three-dimensional organotypic cultures in vitro as well as in animal modes in vivo, studies are underway to dissect the structural organization and functional significance of melanoma subpopulations.
- Hsu MY, Rovinsky SA, Lai CY, Qasem S, Liu X, How J, Engelhardt JF, Murphy GF. Aggressive melanoma cells escape from BMP7-mediated autocrine growth inhibition through coordinated Noggin upregulation. Lab Invest. 2008 Aug;88(8):842-55. Epub 2008 Jun 16. (Editorial highlight in: Lab Invest 2008; 88:795).
- Menke J, Hsu MY, Byrne KT, Lucas JA, Rabacal WA, Croker BP, Zong XH, Stanley ER, Kelley VR. Sunlight triggers cutaneous lupus through a CSF-1-dependent mechanism in MRL-Fas(lpr) mice. J Immunol. 2008 Nov 15;181(10):7367-79. (Cover illustration).
- Martin JE, Hsu MY, Wang LC. An unusual clinical presentation of multiple tumors of the follicular infundibulum. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009 May;60(5):885-6.
- Laga AC, Lai CY, Zhan Q, Huang SJ, Velazquez EF, Yang Q, Hsu MY, Murphy GF. Expression of the embryonic stem cell transcription factor SOX2 in human skin: relevance to melanocyte and merkel cell biology. Am J Pathol. 2010 Feb;176(2):903-13. Epub 2009 Dec 30.
- Martin JE, Hsu MY, Werchniak AE.Ulcerated plaque on the chin of a young woman. New World cutaneous leishmaniasis. Arch Dermatol. 2010 Jul;146(7):789-94.
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Bonde G, Day KM, Hsu MY, Cornell RA. Differentiation of zebrafish melanophores depends on transcription factors AP2 alpha and AP2 epsilon. PLoS Genet. 2010 Sep 16;6(9). pii: e1001122.