Hye Jin Chung, MD, MMS
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
Boston University School of Medicine
To Schedule a General Dermatology Appointment: 617-638-7420
To Schedule a Cosmetic Dermatology Appointment: 617-414-2676
Shapiro Ambulatory Care Center
725 Albany Street, Suite 8B, Boston, MA 02118
Boston University School of Medicine, Dept of Dermatology
609 Albany Street, J-401 Boston, MA 02118
|2014-2016||Dermatopathology Fellowship||Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA|
|2011-2014||Dermatology Residency||Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|2010-2011||Medicine Internship||Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, MA|
|2007-2010||Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA|
|2006-2007||Dermatology Fellowship||Yonsei University Medical Center Seoul, Korea|
|2002-2006||Dermatology Residency||Yonsei University Medical Center Seoul, Korea|
|2003-2005||MMS||Yonsei University Graduate School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea|
|2001-2002||Internship||Yonsei University Medical Center, Seoul, Korea|
|1995-2001||MD||Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea|
Clinical Specialties and Research Interests
- Acne, Scar, Cosmetic dermatology, Laser therapy, Cutaneous surgery
- Scar prevention and treatment
Dr. Chung graduated with her MD from Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea in 2001, where she completed her residency and fellowship training in Dermatology. She finished her post-doctoral fellowship and residency in dermatology at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, in 2014. Dr. Chung joined the faculty of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, upon completion of her dermatopathology fellowship at Boston Medical Center in 2016. She has dual roles within the Department of Dermatology, evaluating patients in the Faculty Practice of Boston Medical Center and signing out skin biopsies at the Skin Pathology Laboratory at Boston University School of Medicine.
Dr. Chung has done extensive research in the field of scarring disorders, laser therapy, and dermatopathology. She has clinical interests in acne, scar prevention and treatment, Asian skin diseases, cosmetic dermatology, laser therapy, and cutaneous surgery. For her accomplishment, Dr. Chung has received numerous awards including Dermatology Foundation Research Grant, First Place on the 49th Korean Dermatology Board Examination, Intern of the Year, and Outstanding Role Model Award.
Original, Peer Reviewed Articles:
- Chung HJ, Goo BC, Lee JH, Bang D, Lee KH, Lee ES, Lee S. Behcet’s disease combined with various types of fistula. Yonsei Med J 2005;46:625-8.
- Goo BC, Chung HJ, Chung WG, Chung KY. Intramuscular immunoglobulin for recalcitrant suppurative diseases of the skin: a retrospective review of 63 cases. Br J Dermatol 2007;157:563-8.
- Inui H, Oh KS, Nadem C, Ueda T, Khan SG, Metin A, Gozukara E, Emmert S, Slor H, Busch DB, Baker CC, DiGiovanna JJ, Tamura D, Seitz CS, Gratchev A, Wu WH, Chung KY, Chung HJ, Azizi E, Woodgate R, Schneider TD, Kraemer KH. Xeroderma pigmentosum-variant patients from America, Europe, and Asia. J Invest Dermatol 2008;128:2055-68.
- Chung HJ, Steplewski A, Chung KY, Uitto J, Fertala A. Collagen fibril formation; a new target to limit fibrosis. J Biol Chem 2008;283:25879-86.
- Roh MR, Chung HJ, Chung KY. Effects of various parameters of the 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser for the treatment of enlarged facial pores. J Dermatol Treatment 2009;20:1-6.
- Kim DH, Chung HJ, Bleys J, Ghohestani RF. Is paromomycin an effective and safe treatment against cutaneous leishmaniasis? A meta-analysis of 14 randomized controlled trials. PLos Negl Trop Dis 2009;3:e381.
- Chung HJ, Steplewski A, Uitto J, Fertala A. Fluorescent protein markers to tag collagenous proteins: the paradigm of procollagen VII. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009;390:662-6.
- Chung HJ, Jensen DA, Gawron K, Steplewski A, Fertala A. R992C (p.R1192C) substitution in collagen II alters the structure of mutant molecules and induces the unfolded protein response. J Mol Biol 2009;390:306-18.
- Jung J, Cho S, Chung H, Shin JU, Lee K, Chung K. Treatment of periorbital wrinkles with 1550- and 1565-nm Er:glass fractional photothermolysis lasers: a simultaneous split-face trial. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2011;25:811-8.
- Chung HJ, McGuigan KL, Osley KL, Zendell K, Lee JB. Pigmented solar (actinic) keratosis: an under recognized collision lesion. J Am Acad Dermatol 2013;68:647-53.
- Eytan O1, Qiaoli L, Nous beck J, van Stengel MA, Burger B, Howl D, Taube A, Prey S, Bachmann D, Avitan-Hersh E, Jin Chung H, Shemer A, Trau H, Bergman R, Fuchs-Telem D, Warshauer E, Israeli S, Itin PH, Sarig O, Uitto J, Sprecher E. Increased epidermal expression and absence of mutations in CARD14 in a series of patients with sporadic pityriasis rubra pilaris. Br J Dermatol 2014;170:1196-8.
- Chung HJ, Yang S, Succaria F, Bhawan J. TERT promoter mutations are infrequent in Merkel cell carcinomas. J Am Acad Dermatol 2015;73:864-5.
- Li Q, Jin Chung H, Ross N, Keller M, Andrews J, Kingman J, Sarig O, Fuchs-Telem D, Sprecher E, Uitto J. Analysis of CARD14 Polymorphisms in Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris: Activation of NF-κB. J Invest Dermatol 2015;135:1905-8.
- Ross N, Chung HJ, Li Q, Keller MS, Uitto J. Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris: A cohort study of 100 patients Epidemiologic, clinicopathologic, diagnostic and management challenges from patient and provider perspectives. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152:670-5.
- Chung HJ, Goldberg LJ. Histologic Features of Chronic Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus of the Scalp on Horizontal Sections: Emphasis on Follicular Findings. J Am Acad Dermatol 2017 Jun 14. pii: S0190-9622(17)30291-8
Proceedings of Meetings and Invited Papers:
- Chung HJ, Lee KH. Immunology of cutaneous fungal infection. Hanyang Medical Review 2006;25:34-43.
- Chung HJ, Uitto J. Type VII collagen: the anchoring fibril protein at fault in dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Dermatol Clin 2010;28:93-105.
- Chung HJ, Uitto J. Epidermolysis bullosa with pyloric atresia. Dermatol Clin 2010;28:43-54.
- MR Roh, BC Goo, JY Jung, HJ Chung, KY Chung. Treatment of enlarged pores with the quasi long-pulsed versus Q-switched 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser: a split-face, comparative, controlled study. Laser Therapy 2011;20:175-80.
- HJ Chung, BC Goo, HJ Lee, MR Roh, KY Chung. Enlarged pores treated with a combination of Q-switched and micropulsed 1064 nm Nd:YAG laser with and without topical carbon suspension: a simultaneous split-face trial. Laser Therapy 2011;20:181-8.
- Chung HJ, Mahalingam M. Angiogenesis, vasculogenic mimicry and vascular invasion in cutaneous malignant melanoma – implications for therapeutic strategies and targeted therapies. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2014;14:621-39.
- Roh MR, Chung HJ, Lee JH. A case of acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy. Yonsei Med J 2004;45:523-6.
- Chung HJ, Chung KY. Nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy: response to high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin. Br J Dermatol 2004;150:596-7.
- Roh MR, Chung HJ, Cho YH, Chung KY. Hypertrichosis lanuginosa acquisita associated with autoimmune hepatitis. J Dermatol 2006;33:574-6.
- Jung JY, Goo B, Choi YJ, Chung HJ, Chung KY. A case of granuloma pyogenicum presenting as an intravascular mass: evaluation by ultrasonography. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2008;22:515-7.
- Jung JY, Rho MR, Chung HJ, Chung KY. Malignant melanoma evaluated with 18F-FDG PET-CT and sentinel lymph node biopsy. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2008;22:126-7.
- Chung HJ, Kim DH, Lee KY, Chung KY. Painful Red Plaques at the Injection Sites. Am J Clin Dermatol 2009;10:201-3.
- Chung HJ, Cam K, Schwartz L. Firm papules on the auricular helix. JAMA Dermatol 2013;149:475-80.
- Chung HJ, Marley-Kemp D, Keller M. Rupioid psoriasis and other skin diseases with rupioid manifestations. Cutis 2014;94:119-21.
- Chung HJ, Simkin AD, Bhawan J, Wolpowitz D. “Melanocytic Nests Arising in Lichenoid Inflammation:” Re-appraisal of the Terminology “Melanocytic Pseudonests”. Am J Dermatopathol 2015;37:940-3.
- Chung HJ, Wolpowitz D, Scott G, Gilmore E, Bhawan J. Squamous cell carcinoma with osteoclast-like giant cells: a morphologically heterologous group including carcinosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma with stromal changes. J Cutan Pathol 2016;43:148-57.
- Chung HJ, Goldberg LJ. A verrucous plaque on the wrist. ASDP online case series, June 2015
- Chung HJ, Kafle SU, Lam C, Mahalingam M. An annular plaque on the inner thigh. Am J Dermatopathol. 2017 Jul;39:e85
- McDermott E, Chung HJ, Keller M. A case of lichenoid drug eruption to Imatinib mesylate and review of cases in the literature. Cutis 2017;99:189-92.
- Chang YC, Lee SJ, Chung HJ. Treatment of Post-Pulsed Dye Laser Purpura with Pulsed Dye Laser. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2017 Aug 29. doi: 10.1080/14764172.2017.1368563. [Epub ahead of print]
- Walter S, Goldberg LJ, Chung HJ. Pustular eruption after cocaine use. Am J Dermatopathol. 2017 Sep 20. doi: 10.1097/DAD.0000000000000990. [Epub ahead of print]