Katrina Steiling, M.D, M.Sc.
B.S., Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA
M.D. Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Internal Medicine Residency, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Pulmonary Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Pulmonary/Critical Care Fellowship, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
M.Sc., Bioinformatics, College of Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA
Board Certifications: Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care Medicine
Dr. Steiling’s research focuses on applying high-throughput genomic tools and emerging computational methods to develop improved diagnostics, prognostics, and risk stratification tools for phenotypically complex lung diseases such as COPD and lung cancer. Dr. Steiling’s primary research involves gene expression profiling of the airway epithelium from individuals with COPD in order to understand the molecular mechanisms of this disease and its relationship to lung cancer. She has also worked to apply airway gene expression profiling to the diagnosis of lung cancer, to understand the relationship between smoking-induced changes in gene expression in the bronchial airway and the upper airway, and to elucidate the relationship between smoking-induced changes in airway gene and protein expression.
- Gesthalter YB, Vick J, Steiling K*, Spira A*. “Translating the transcriptome into tools for the early detection and prevention of lung cancer.” Thorax, 2015; [Epub ahead of print] *co-senior authors
- Christenson SA, Steiling K, van den Berge M, Hijazi K, Hiemstra PS, Postma DS, Lenberg ME, Spira A, Woodruff PG. “Asthma-COPD overlap: Clinical relevance of genomic signatures of type 2 inflammation in COPD.” Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2015; [Epub ahead of print]
- Stevenson EK, Sloan KA, Narsule CK, Kretschman DM, Sarita-Reyes CD, Steiling K*, Ebright MI*. “Catamenial hemothorax in a patient with multiple sclerosis.” Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2014; 190(12):e69-70. *co-senior authors
- Lamontagne M, Timens W, Hao K, Bossé Y, Laviolette M, Steiling K, Campbell JD, Couture C, Conti M, Sherwood K, Hogg JC, Brandsma CA, van den Berge M, Sandford A, Lam S, Lenburg ME, Spira A, Paré PD, Nickle D, Sin DD, Postma DS. “Genetic regulation of gene expression in the lung identifies CST3 and CD22 as potential causal genes for airflow obstruction.” Thorax, 2014; 69(11):997-1004.
- Kathuria H, Gesthalter Y, Spira A, Brody JS, Steiling K. “Updates and controversies in the rapidly evolving field of lung cancer screening, early detection, and chemoprevention.” Cancers (Basel), 2014; 6(2):1157-79.
- Vucic EA, Chari R, Thu KL, Wilson IM, Cotton AM, Kennett JY, Zhang M, Lonergan KM, Steiling K, Brown CJ, McWilliams A, Ohtani K, Lenburg ME, Sin DD, Spira A, Macaulay CE, Lam S, Lam WL. “Contribution of DNA Methylation to gene expression changes in the airways of former smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.” Am J Resp Cell Molec Biol, 2014; 50(5):912-922.
- van den Berge M, Steiling K, Timens W, Hiemstra PS, Sterk PJ, Heijink IH, Liu G, Alekseyev YO, Lenburg ME, Spira A*, Postma DS*. “Airway gene expression in COPD is dynamic with inhaled corticosteroid treatment and reflects biological pathways associated with disease activity.” Thorax, 2014;69(1):14-23.
- Steiling K, van den Berge M, Hijazi K, Florido R, Campbell J, Liu G, Xiao J, Zhang X, Duclos G, Drizik E, Si H, Perdomo C, Dumont C, Coxson HO, Alekseyev YO, Sin D, Pare P, Hogg JC, McWilliams A, Hiemstra PS, Sterk PJ, Timens W, Chang JT, Sebastiani P, O’Connor GT, Bild AH, Postma DS, Lam S, Spira A*, Lenburg ME*. “A dynamic bronchial airway gene expression signature of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung function impairment.” Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2013; 187(9):933-942.
- Gower AC, Steiling K, Brothers JF, Lenburg ME, Spira A. “Transcriptomic studies of the airway ‘field of injury’ associated with smoking-related lung disease.” Proc Am Thorac Soc, 2011; 8(2):173-179.
- Brody JS, Steiling K. “Interaction of cigarette exposure and airway epithelial cell gene expression” Annu Rev Physiol. 2011; 73:437-456.
- Spira A, Steiling K. Topics in genetics and genomics: Gene Expression. In: UpToDate, Basow DS (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA, 2010.
- Steiling K, Lenberg ME, Spira A. “Airway Gene Expression in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.” Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2009;6:697-700.
- Steiling K, Kadar AY, Bergerate A, Flanigon J, Sridhar S, Shah V, Ahmad QR, Brody JS, Lenburg ME, Steffen M, Spira A. “Comparison of proteomic and transcriptomic profiles in the bronchial airway epithelium of current and never smokers.” PLoS ONE. 2009;4(4):e5043.
- Steiling K, Ryan J, Brody JS*, Spira A*. “The field of tissue injury in the lung and airway.” Cancer Prevention Research, 2008; 1(6):396-403. *contributed equally as senior author
- Sridhar S*, Schembri F*,Zeskind J, Shah V, Gustafson A, Steiling K, Liu G, Dumas YM, Zhang X, Brody JS, Lenburg ME, Spira A. “Smoking-induced gene expression changes in the bronchial airway are reflected in nasal and buccal epithelium.” BMC Genomics, 2008; 9:259. * contributed equally
- Beane J, Sebastiani P, Whitfield TH, Steiling K, Dumas YM, Lenburg ME, Spira A. “A prediction model for lung cancer diagnosis that integrates genomic and clinical features.” Cancer Prevention Research, 2008; 1:56-64.
- Spira A, Beane JE, Shah V, Steiling K, Liu G, Schembri F, Gilman S, Dumas YM, Calner P, Sebastiani P, Sridhar S, Beamis J, Lamb C, Anderson T, Gerry N, Keane J, Lenburg ME, Brody JS. “Airway epithelial gene expression in the diagnostic evaluation of smokers with suspect lung cancer.” Nature Medicine, 2007; 13(3):361-6.