Pathology Interest Group
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes and Dr. Joel Henderson, email@example.com
- Qi Zi Yang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gabriel Lerner, email@example.com
- Max Rosenthaler, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kevin Dao, email@example.com
- Yelu Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel Multi, email@example.com
The mission of the BUSM pathology interest group is to provide medical students with early exposure to the field of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. We aim to:
- Increase awareness of the breadth of Pathology and Laboratory medicine during the pre-clinical years;
- Demonstrate the integral role of pathologists in providing clinical care to patients;
- Demonstrate how knowledge gained during the pre-clinical curriculum forms the fundamental knowledge base for the practice of pathology
- Increase the number of medical students matching into pathology – can be measured by monitoring Class Match Day statistics
- Increase understanding of the breadth of pathology
We will accomplish these objectives by providing opportunities that span the broad scope of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, including:
- Facilitate shadowing experiences within both Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, at the microscope and grossing bench
- Scheduled autopsy observation. (At Boston Medical Center, through Department of Pathology. Organize day trip to OCME – lecture on overview of Forensic Pathology, followed by tour of autopsy room)
- Microbiology plate rounds
- Hands-on FNA and frozen section workshops
- Case presentations
- Speaker series
- Dissemination of department research opportunities
- Career lunches
- Journal club type event
- A list compiled by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) of both funded and non-funded clinical and research opportunities open to medical students considering taking additional time during medical school to pursue Pathology-oriented training in Pathology programs across the country.
- Pathology Outlines is an authoritative all-around resource for gathering pathology-related information quickly and easily – the ‘Uptodate’ of Pathology!
- The ‘Additional Career Development Resources’ section of this website has two pdf links of interest to those considering a career in Pathology.
- This resource is a collection of quotations and interviews with US- and UK-based pathologists.
- A directory for looking up basic information about all Pathology Residency programs in the United States.
- The Intersociety Council for Pathology Information’s website of Training Resources for Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. This is an excellent resource for finding information about a career in Pathology.