Fourth Year Orientation
BUSM IV Fourth Year Orientation
You are required to complete all Fourth Year Orientation requirements for the 2017-18 academic year. Many of these requirements can be completed on-line. If you are unable to attend the scheduled Orientation sessions, you are required to complete the requirements before Monday, June 5, 2017.
- Fourth Year Orientation Schedule for TB implants/reads, Mask Fit, mandatory lectures: Fourth Year Orientation Schedule, class of 2018
The Third Year Clerkships have been informed that you will need time away from the Clerkships to participate.
Fourth Year Pre-Orientation Requirements:
- You must complete the Mask Fit pretest, Class of 2018 by Monday, April 24, 2017, or you will not be able to participate in the Mask Fit on Wednesday, April 26, 2017.
- You must complete the Safety & Infection Prevention Training by Monday, April 24, 2017.
- Go to BUSM RIMS
- Click on Login, enter BU username & Kerberos password to access RIMS Training Profile
- Scroll all the way down the page to “Safety and Infection Prevention Training”
- View “Take the Course”, then take “Test” . Save page confirming you passed, and e-mail as a pdf attachment to Susan Norris, email@example.com. Save the confirming page for yourself as well, you may need it for outside elective application.
- If you don’t have a RIMS training account, follow the instructions: http://www.bu.edu/rims/training-registration/training-profile-registration/
4. In addition to the annual required TB implant/read, all your clinical immunizations must be up-to-date by Monday, April 24, 2017. To check: If you are not up-to-date, you must bring yourself into compliance, either through Student Health Services, or your own physician, and then you must provide documentation to Student Health Services: HEALTH COMPLIANCE INSTRUCTIONS, Class of 2018
5. If you require any forms from outside rotations that require paperwork from Student Health Services, please complete the SHS Checklist prior to requesting SHS complete this paperwork: Student Health Services CheckList
6. You must view the Mandatory Title IX recording by April 27, 2017; and confirm viewing in the “Medical Student Professional Responsibility & Criminal Record Information Disclosure Agreement, Mandatory Lectures & Recording Confirmation” (item 7), after Monday, April 27, 2017.
Post-Orientation Session Requirements:
7. You must agree to and submit the following form after April 27, 2017: Fourth Year Medical Student Professional Responsibility & Criminal Record Information Disclosure Agreement, Mandatory Lectures & Recording Confirmation
8. You must complete the annually required HIPAA training, which will be offered by Boston Medical Center in September of 2017.
Off-Campus, unable to attend Fourth Year Orientation: You will be able to complete the above procedures for Mask Fit Pretest, Safety & Infection Prevention Training (BUSM RIMS), and the Medical Student Professional Responsibility & Criminal Record Disclosure Form on-line, you will be able to review the recording of the mandatory Title 9 lecture on-line and the recording of the Off-Boarding, PHS & ATM lecture on-line, and in addition:
9a. Mandatory Lectures recording:
9b. You will need to contact Student Health Services to schedule the TB implant/read, or submit paperwork from your own physician for the TB screen, as well as to ascertain if you are up-to-date on all other immunizations.
10. You will need to do a Mask Fit. Please go to Mask Fit Test Schedule to set up an individual Mask Fit.
If you took an additional year between Third & Fourth Years: If you have taken an additional year between the Third & Fourth Years, you must complete all Orientation requirements, and in addition:
11. Your BLS training will have expired, and you must renew before Monday, June 5, 2017. BUSM now does CPR training, so you can either renew the BLS training at Boston Medical Center or you can take the CPR training through the FitRec Center on the Charles River Campus.
a. BLS: review training schedule and sign up on-line at http://www.bmc.org/ctc
To contact: 617-414-7880
b. CPR: review training schedule and sign up on-line at FitRec CPR sign-up
To contact: Samantha Sawan
c. You must submit a copy of your BLS card or CPR certificate to Susan Norris
12. You may need to re-activate your SCRUBS account – contact OSA for assistance.
13. You may need to have your BMC computer systems permissions re-activated – contact OSA for assistance.
If you will be taking an additional year between Third & Fourth Years:
14. You must complete all orientation requirements for 2017-18 if you will have any patient contact in 2017-18.
15. If you do not have patient contact in 2017-18, you are not required to complete the 2017-18 orientation requirements, but you may want to consider completing them. You will be applying for outside Fourth Year rotations several weeks prior to Fourth Year Orientation sessions for 2018-19, and these outside rotations may ask for your most recent orientation requirement confirmation.
Please contact Susan Norris, 617-638-4902 with questions or concerns.