Orientation BUSM III
***BUSM III Orientation is REQUIRED for all students in order to begin clerkships***
Please read through ENTIRE orientation information carefully to avoid
any interruptions/delays in beginning clerkships. Questions regarding the information below may be directed to Erika Reardon or Jennifer Mompoint in Office of Student Affairs (OSA), Jodie Trainor or Caroline Mulligan (Kaiser students) in the Office of Medical Education (OME)
Orientation General Information
- Dates: Monday, May 21st – Friday, May 25th
- Times: 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM for each day of orientation (some days may start later or dismiss early)
- Dresscode: Casual
- All scheduled sessions are MANDATORY
- BUSM III Orientation Schedule – REVIEW CAREFULLY
Pre-Orientation Requirements MUST be completed by all rising Third-Year students:
Pre-Compliance Online Training: Deadline Monday, May 21, 2018
- Safety and Infection Prevention Training Online Module(OSHA)
- Check Health Status on UIS
- Review all BUSM Policies and complete the required “Forms”
ADDITIONAL ORIENTATION DETAILS
Identification Card (ID) Access
- If your current BU Identification Card was re-issued on the Charles River Campus, you will need to replace your ID card. Prox (“tap access”) cannot be added to the CRC-issued cards.
- To replace your card, please bring your card to the BUMC ID Office. There is no fee to exchange the card.
PPD Testing Info
If you are due for an annual PPD skin test for compliance, you must complete attend the session listed on your individualized schedule.
If you have already received your annual PPD skin test at an outside clinic, you do not need to attend this PPD clinic. Please upload the proper documentation to the online health portal Patient Connect by visiting www.bu.edu/patientconnect so that SHS can update your compliance.
If you have tested positive for a PPD skin test in the past, you do not need to attend this PPD clinic. Please visit the online health portal at bu.edu/patientconnect and click Messages. Proceed to click TB Symptom Screen questionnaire. Complete this form and send this as a message to the nurse. They will respond to you and update your compliance status.
If you have Aetna Student Health Insurance – Aetna will cover the PPD test cost and this $20 charge will not appear on your student tuition. If a chest X-ray is required, you should check with the Student Health representative covering the Orientation PPD registration process for Aetna coverage of this requirement.
Non-Aetna student health insurance (private carrier or on a parent’s insurance plan): the PPD $20 charge is placed on your student tuition, however, you are offered a “receipt” at the time of the PPD test, to submit to your own insurance plan for reimbursement. You are responsible for payment of the $20 PPD charge charged to your student account regardless of whether you submitted to your own insurance provider for reimbursement.
Students are encouraged to read the Policy for Medical Student Time Off (during Clinical rotations of the 3rd and 4th years) that was approved by the Medical Education Committee. The policy will be discussed during orientation.