Supporting Documents for Medical Student Opportunities
If you are a medical student pursuing a scholarship, fellowship, research opportunity, or global health elective, you may need supporting documents as part of your application to a program. Below is a description of what is available at BUSM.
- A Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
A letter of recommendation (LOR) provides a detailed outline of your academic history, achievements, and a strong endorsement of your skills. LORs are about two pages in length. If you need a LOR (which is not a dean’s letter for residency) you may request one from the following sources.
- A dean in the Student Affairs Office. Any medical student may request a LOR from the SAO. It requires a meeting with the dean who will write the letter.
- Dr. Sarfaty in the Enrichment Office. Medical students who have worked with Dr. Sarfaty directly, (i.e. through classroom instruction, service learning projects, or student organization activities) may request a letter from her.
- Certificate of Registration or Certificate of Good Standing
The BUSM Registrar will generate the following documents on your behalf:
- Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Certificate of Good Standing for Outside Elective
To request any of these documents, complete the Request for verification of student status on the BUSM Registrar’s Office.
- Verification of Enrollment
You may obtain a verification of enrollment (confirms you attend BU) from the BU Student Link.
- Letter Granting Permission to Undertake Global Health Elective
If you require a letter indicating you have received permission from BUSM to participate in a global health elective, then the Enrichment Office will write a letter (signed by Dr. Sarfaty, Director of Global Health Programs, BUSM) for you. E-mail Ana Gregory to request this document.