What is Interprofessional Education (IPE)?
“…when two or more professions learn with, from and about each other to improve collaboration and quality of care.” – Barr H & Low H
- IPE Longitudinal Curriculum Outline
- “What Happens When Interprofessionals Get Together” Presentation
BUSM Interprofessional Activities
- 1st Year:
- Day in the Life program with nurses at the VA
- Essentials of Public Health: case-based IPE curriculum
- 2nd Year:
- Disease & Therapy Course: Physician Assistant Students and Medical Students collaborate in small group discussions
- Integrated Problems 2: Medical Students and Physician Assistant Students work together to investigate a clinical case
- 3rd Year Clerkships:
- Ob/Gyn: Medical students paired with midwives
- Surgery Clerkship: Nurses teach MS3 to scrub
- Family Medicine Clerkship: Curry College Nursing students collaborate with medical students in a simulated clinical case
- 4th Year Clerkships:
- Geriatrics: Dental students teach MS4 about oral health
- Geriatrics: Nursing students and medical students colloborate on home visits
- Barr H & Low H. The definitions and principles of interprofessional education. January 2011. Available at http://caipe.org.uk/about-us/the-definition-and-principles-of-interprofessional-education/.
- Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative. A national interprofessional competency framework. Feb, 2010. Available at http://www.cihc.ca/files/CIHC_IPCompetencies_Feb1210.pdf.
Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel. Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: Report of an expert panel. 2011. Washington, D.C.: Interprofessional Education Collaborative. Available at https://www.aamc.org/download/186750/data/core_competencies.pdf .
- Oregon Health & Science University. Interprofessional education glossary. Available at https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/student-services/about-us/provost/upload/OHSU-Interprofessional-Initiative-Glossary-2016.pdf .