BU Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics - Pfizer Symposium, "Therapeutic Innovation: Oxidative Stress and the Next Generation of Discovery"
- Starts: 8:00 am on Tuesday, November 5, 2013
- Ends: 7:00 pm on Tuesday, November 5, 2013
• Keynote Lecture - “Deconstructing DMF: Lessons Learned in the Development of Tecfidera,” Kenneth J. Rhodes, Ph.D., Vice President, Neurology Research, Biogen Idec
• “New Insights and Therapeutics for Superoxide Dismutase Toxicity in ALS,” Joseph S. Beckman, Ph.D., Ava Helen Pauling Chair, Linus Pauling Institute, and Director, Environmental Health Sciences Center, Oregon State University
• “Nrf2 as a Therapeutic Target for COPD,” Shyam S. Biswal, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
• “Isotope-Reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Suppress Lipid Autoxidation,” Catherine F. Clarke, Ph.D., Professor of Biochemistry, UCLA
• “Inhibitors/Modulators of Nox4 NADPH Oxidase as Novel Therapeutic Tools for the Treatment of Diabetic Kidney Disease,” Yves Gorin, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
• “Sirtuins and NAD – Approaches fo Diseases of Aging, “ – Leonard P. Guarente, Ph.D., Novartis Professor of Biology; Director, The Glenn Laboratory for the Science of Aging, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
• “Oxidative Stress and Redox Proteomics: Targeting Complex Networks,” Dean P. Jones, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Medicine and Director, Emory Clinical Biomarkers Laboratory, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
• “Targeting Oxidative Stress in Neuronal Disorders with Metalloporphyrins,” Manisha Patel, Ph.D. Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado School of Pharmacology
• “Role of Mitochondria in the Oxidative Stress of Alzheimer’s Disease,” George Perry, Ph.D., Dean, College of Sciences, and Professor of Biology, The University of Texas at San Antonio
• “Free Radical Oxidation of Sterols and Sterol Esters in vitro and in vivo,” Ned A. Porter, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University
• “Modulating Histone Deacetylaces to Treat Neurodegenerative Disorders,” Li-Huei Tsai, Ph.D., Picower Professor of Neuroscience; Director, The Picower Center for Learning and Memory; and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator, M.I.T.
• “Oxidative Stress as a Target for Pharmacotherapy in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms,” Neal Weintraub, M.D., The Herbert S. Kupperman, M.D. Eminent Scholar in Cardiovascular Medicine, Georgia Regents University
• “The Nrf2-Keap1-ARE Pathway and its Dual Role in Cancer” Donna Zhang, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ