Pathology & Laboratory Medicine News Items
- Congratulations Graduating Resident, Dr. Manisha Mehta for receiving the second annual Robert Foley, MBA, Award. This honor is given annually to a resident or fellow who “demonstrates the qualities that Mr. Foley brought to work every day.” Mr. Foley’s family again attended the Castle Graduation Dinner.
- Castle Graduation Celebration 2014
○ The Department is very pleased to announce that David Kindelberger, M.D., will assume the position of the Director of Surgical Pathology effective August 1, 2014. Dr. Kindelberger earned a biochemistry degree from
Dr. Kindelberger has been active in pathology teaching and has won the Felix Brown Award as well as the Pier Paci Memorial award for teaching at the Brigham. He has participated in the Annual Advances in Cytology Course at
Dr. Kindelberger’s interests are in cytopathology and gestational trophoblastic disease. He has been invited in workshops on these issues in
Please join me in welcoming Dr. Kindelberger to our Department, we are very pleased to have him join our faculty.
○ Congratulations on passing the Qualifying Exams!
□ Terry Hseih
□ Erika Langley
□ Nisma Mujahid
□ Liz Moses
□ Nick Woolf
□ Thank you to the faculty members who serve on the Qualifying Exam Committee; Drs. Blusztajn, Delalle,
○ Dr. Nancy S. Miller is now President of the Northeast Branch of the American Society for Microbiology (NEB-ASM), for a one-year term
- 37th Annual SHOCK Conference 2014:
, June 6 – 10, 2014 Charlotte, North Carolina
- Daniel Remick, M.D., received the Shock Society’s Scientific Achievement Award for 2014. This award was given in recognition of his many scientific accomplishment, including have the most cited paper in the journal Shock, Six at Six
- Daniel Remick, M.D., was the moderator of the session: “New Investigators Session, Finding Your Scientific Niche” at the 37th Annual Shock Society Meeting
- Recent graduate
Evan Chiswick, PhD had a poster presentation entitled: “Humoral Elements in Lethal/Non-Lethal Sepsis Prime for Survival or Death.” Authors: Evan L. Chiswick, Daniel G. Remick
- Dr. Chiswick also received a Shock Travel Award
- Terry Hseih, MD/PhD candidate gave a poster presentation, “SUBSTANCE P REGULATES IMMUNE PRIMING FOLLOWING TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY;” T. Hsieh, E.G. King, D.M. Stepien, E. Duffy, D.G. Remick
- An R21 grant, R21AI112887-01, Mechanisms of phagocytic cell defects induced by inhibitory IgG was awarded to Daniel Remick, M.D.
- Effective July 1, 2014, Barbara Slack, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine will become the new course director for the dental school pathology course. Dr. Carmen Sarita-Reyes will continue as the course co-director to allow a smooth transition.
- Anton BP, Kasif S, Roberts RJ and Steffen M (2014). Objective: Biochemical Function. Front. Genet. 5:210. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2014.00210
- Cao, Y, Z R Hunter, X Liu, L Xu, G Yang, J Chen, C J Patterson, et al. “The WHIM-like CXCR4(S338X) Somatic Mutation Activates AKT and ERK, and Promotes Resistance to Ibrutinib and Other Agents Used in the Treatment of Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia.” Leukemia (June 10, 2014). doi:10.1038/leu.2014.187
- Castillo, Jorge J., Adam J. Olszewski, Angel M. Cronin, Zachary R. Hunter, and Steven P. Treon. “Survival Trends in Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia: An Analysis of the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Database.” Blood 123, no. 25 (June 19, 2014): 3999–4000. doi:10.1182/blood-2014-05-574871
- Jie Ma, Manisha Mehta, Godfrey Lam,Desireé Cyr, Tat Fong Ng,1 Tatsuo Hirose, Khaled A. Tawansy,Andrew W. Taylor, Kameran Lashkari. Influence of subretinal fluid in advanced stage retinopathy of prematurity on proangiogenic response and cell proliferation. ‘Molecular Vision’ Article ID: 999; Volume: 20; EJP Article Number: 2014MOLVIS0106
Dr. Slack has been actively involved in pathology education for several years. She chairs the pathology Ph.D. qualifying exam and has been course director for several of our Special Topics courses. Her prior experience in managing courses will ensure that the dental school pathology course continues to deliver excellent education to the dental students.
The Department wishes to thank Dr. Sarita-Reyes for her excellent stewardship of this course. Dr. Cataldo Leone, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of the Goldman School of Dental Medicine has been very pleased with Dr. Sarita-Reyes expertise and attention to detail in serving as course co-director. Dr. Sarita-Reyes has been selected to serve on the American Dental Association National Board Test Construction Committee. Serving on this committee provided clear evidence of Dr. Sarita-Reyes’s contributions to pathology education on a national stage.
○ BMC Working Parents Group Summer Picnic at
Bring a picnic lunch (or grab food at Sullivan’s) and bring your family and friends for a fun afternoon by the beach! Stroll the Harborwalk, fly a kite, play ball, swing at the playground, explore
○ Sandra Cerda, MD has assumed the position of Director of Cytology, and Director of the Cytology Fellowship Program effective July 1, 2014. Dr. Cerda is board certified in anatomic pathology and cytology and brings strong expertise in cytology. The Department is pleased that Dr. Cerda has assumed this new leadership role.
○ Dr. Kazem Azadzoi was an invited speaker at the Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology 2014 Annual Meeting, February/March in
○ Barb Nikolajczyk, PhD gave talk at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, June 2014 entitled “Roles of B cells in types 2 diabetes and T2D-assocaited periodontal disease”