Clinical Leadership Program (CLP)
The Clinical Leadership Program (CLP) is a longitudinal professional development program for inpatient and ambulatory Medical Directors at Boston Medical Center (BMC). Participants engage in self-reflection and evaluation, peer and senior mentoring networks, and the development of strategic leadership and inter-disciplinary collaboration skills through experiential and project-based learning.
- Improve vitality and engagement of BMC Medical Directors and other providers
- Enhance physician effectiveness to lead interdisciplinary clinical programs that promote the quadruple aim of improving population health, enhancing patient and provider experience, and reducing costs
- Self-identify areas of strength and prioritize opportunities for improvement
- Foster clinical leadership peer mentoring to advance information sharing and system effectiveness
- Peer mentoring. Cohorts of ~15 Medical Directors meet off-campus for a two-day training followed by ongoing bi-monthly hour-long professional development sessions focused on problem-solving challenges faced by participants through peer and senior mentoring and sharing of strategies and best practices.
- June 13 & 14, 2019 – Inpatient
- October 10 & 11, 2019 – Ambulatory
- February 6 & 7, 2020 – Inpatient
- April 2 & 3, 2020 – Ambulatory
- Leadership goal. Participants identify a Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant Time-bound (SMART) leadership goal they will achieve over the year of the program to improve an aspect of the clinical group they lead and/or their effectiveness as a Medical Director.
- Mentor. Participants have access to a mentor who serves in a BUMG administrative role, including department chairs, section chiefs, vice-chairs, and other senior clinical leaders.
- Resources. Participants have access to a various professional development resources to promote their ongoing leadership and career development.
- Virtual library of resources, including articles, webinars, and book titles on relevant topics
- Directory of key contacts at BMC/BUMG who can provide support on different aspects of the Medical Director role
- Up to three Medical Directors will be supported by BUMG to attend the AAMC Leadership & Management Foundations for Academic Medicine and Science course through a competitive application process.
- Applications open annually in January for March course
- Longitudinal clinical leadership development. Bi-monthly experiential workshops focused on a critical skill of issue, fostering peer mentoring, and other content identified by participants
- Evaluation. Participants will complete a baseline survey assessing their knowledge, skills, and attitudes related to curricular content prior to their participation, and the same survey three months and one year after their participation in the two-day training. They will also be asked to participate in a focus group 4-6 months after their two-day training, and to provide feedback on the program content and facilitation in a satisfaction questionnaire immediately after the training to help shape future programming.
AY20 Program Dates
Inpatient Medical Directors
- June 13 & 14, 2019
- February 6 & 7, 2020
Ambulatory Medical Directors
- October 10 & 11, 2019
- April 2 & 3, 2020