Renee D. Boynton-Jarrett, MD, ScD
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
General Field of work: Pediatric Primary Care
BUSM or BMC office address:
850 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02118
Phone: (617) 414-5946
Fax: (617) 414-4541
Undergraduate: Princeton University, AB, Anthropology
Medical School: Yale University School of Medicine
Residency: Johns Hopkins Hospital (Pediatrics)
Graduate School: Harvard School of Public Health, ScD, Social Epidemiology
Key Words: Exposure to violence; Early life adversity and neuroendocrine health; Obesity; Puberty
- Suglia SF, Clark CJ, Boynton-Jarrett R, Kressin NR, Koenen KC. Child maltreatment and hypertension in young adulthood. BMC Public Health. 2014 Nov 6;14:1149.
- Sharifi M, Adams WG, Winickoff JP, Guo J, Reid M, Boynton-Jarrett R. Enhancing the electronic health record to increase counseling and quit-line referral for parents who smoke. Acad Pediatr. 2014 Sep-Oct;14(5):478-84.
- Mahalingaiah S, Hart JE, Laden F, Terry KL, Boynton-Jarrett R, Aschengrau A, Missmer SA. Air pollution and risk of uterine leiomyomata. Epidemiology. 2014 Sep;25(5):682-8.
- Harville EW, Boynton-Jarrett R. Childhood social hardships and fertility: a prospective cohort study. Ann Epidemiol. 2013 Dec;23(12):784-90.
- Mahalingaiah S, Hart JE, Wise LA, Terry KL, Boynton-Jarrett R, Missmer SA. Prenatal diethylstilbestrol exposure and risk of uterine leiomyomata in the Nurses’ Health Study II. Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Jan 15;179(2):186-91.
- Suglia SF, Duarte CS, Chambers EC, Boynton-Jarrett R. Social and behavioral risk factors for obesity in early childhood. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2013 Oct;34(8):549-56.
- Peters JL, Boynton-Jarrett R, Sandel M. Prenatal environmental factors influencing IgE levels, atopy and early asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Apr;13(2):187-92.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Wright RJ, Putnam F, Hibert E, Michaels K, Forman MR, Rich-Edwards JW. “Child Abuse and Age at Menarche,” Journal of Adolescent Health 2013; 52(2): 241-7.
- Boynton-Jarrett, R, Haverhill EW. “A Prospective Study of Childhood Social Hardships and Age at Menarche,” Annals of Epidemiology 2012; 22(10):731-7.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Hair E, Zuckerman B. “Turbulent Times: Effects of Turbulence and Violence Exposure in Adolescence on High School Completion, Health Risk Behavior, and Mental Health in Young Adulthood,” Social Science and Medicine (Epub 2012 Sept 14)
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Rosenberg L, Palmer JR, Boggs DA, Wise LA. “Child and Adolescent Abuse in Relation to Obesity in Adulthood: the Black Women’s Health Study,” Pediatrics 2012; 130(2): 245-53.
- Jun HJ, Corliss HL, Boynton-Jarrett R, Speiglman D, Austin SB, Rich-Edwards J, Wright RW. “Growing Up in a Domestic Violence Environment: Relationship with Developmental Trajectories of Body Mass Index during Adolescence into Young Adulthood,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 2012; 66(7): 629-35.
- Suglia SF, Duarte C, Earls C, Boynton-Jarrett R. “Cumulative Social Risk and Obesity in Early Childhood.” Pediatrics 2012; 129(5); e1173-9.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Rich-Edwards JW, Fredman L, Hibert E, Michaels K, Forman MR, Wright RJ. “Gestational Weight Gain and Daughter’s Age at Menarche,” J Women’s Health, 2011; 20(8): 1193-200.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Rich-Edwards JW, Jun HJ, Wright RJ. “Self-Reported Abuse in Childhood and Risk of Uterine Leiomyomata: The Role of Emotional Support in Biologic Resilience,” Epidemiology, 2011; 22(1)6-14.
- Harville EW, Boynton-Jarrett R, Hypponen E, Power C. “Effects of Childhood Hardships on Pregnancy Outcomes,” Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2010; 164(6): 533-539.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Fargnoli J, Suglia SF, Zuckerman B, Wright RJ. “The Impact of Maternal Intimate Partner Violence on Incidence of Obesity in Preschool Children: Findings from the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study,” Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2010; 164(6): 540-546.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Ryan L, Berkman L, Wright RJ, “Cumulative Exposure to Violence and Self-Rated Health: A Longitudinal Study of Adolescents in the United States,” Pediatrics, 2008; 122(5): 961-970.
- Jun HJ, Rich-Edwards JW, Boynton-Jarrett R, and Wright RJ. “Child Abuse and Smoking among Young Women: The Importance of Severity, Accumulation, and Timing of Abuse,’ Journal of Adolescent Health, 2008; 43(1): 55-63.
- Jun HJ, Rich-Edwards JW, Boynton-Jarrett R, and Wright RJ. “Women’s Experience with Battering and Cigarette Smoking: Added Risk Related to co-occurrence with other forms of Intimate Partner Violence.” American Journal of Public Health 2008; 98(3): 527-35.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Rich-Edwards J, Malspeis S, Missmer SA, Wright R. “A Prospective Study of Hypertension and Risk of Uterine Leiomyomata,” American Journal of Epidemiology, 2005; 161:628-638.
- Boynton-Jarrett R, Thomas T, Peterson K, Weicha J, Sobol A, Gortmaker S. “The Impact of Television Viewing Patterns on Fruits and Vegetable Consumption among Adolescents,” Pediatrics, 2003; 112: 1321-1326