Julie H. Sandell, Ph.D.
BUMC Office: 617-638-4142
BUMC Lab: 617-638-4168
Associate Provost Office – Charles River Campus: 617-358-5846
R-1014, Boston University Medical Campus
8th Floor, 1 Silber Way, Charles River Campus
Dr. Sandell received her undergraduate degree from Princeton University and her doctorate in Neuroscience from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She completed postdoctoral training at the Massachusetts General Hospital and joined the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology in 1991. The students in Dr. Sandell’s laboratory study anatomical remodeling in retinal degeneration, particularly retinitis pigmentosa. Her research is funded by the NIH. From 1991-2009 Dr. Sandell taught in a variety of courses for medical students and graduate students. She is the 2001 recipient of the Stanley L. Robbins Award for Excellence in Teaching at Boston Medical Center.
In 2009 Dr. Sandell was appointed as the Associate Provost for Faculty Development (APFD) for Boston University. She divides her time between both campuses. Additional details about the APFD activities can be found at www.bu.edu/apfd.
For a complete list of professional experience, funding, publications and service, see CV.
- Liang L, Katagiri Y, Franco LM, Yamauchi Y, Enzmann V, Kaplan HJ, Sandell JH. 2008 Long-term cellular and regional specificity of the photoreceptor toxin, iodoacetic acid (IAA), in the rabbit retina. Vis Neurosci. 25:167-77. PMID: 18442439
- Liang L, Sandell JH. 2008 Focus on molecules: homeobox protein Chx10. Exp Eye Res. 86:541-2. PMID: 17582398
- Franco, L, Brodfuehrer, J, Dean, D, DeMarco, P, McCall, MA, Sandell, J, Tucker, BA, Wang, W, Young, MJ, and Kaplan, HJ. Transcleral photoreceptor transplantation in a swine model of photoreceptor degeneration. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) #2292, 2009.
- Scott, PA, Franco, LM, McCall, MA, DeMarco, PJ, Dean, DC, Kaplan, HJ, and Sandell JH. Iodoacetic acid induced retinal degeneration in the porcine eye. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) #3617, 2009.
- Brodfuehrer, JN, Dean, DC, DeMarco, PJ, Franco, LM, McCall, MA, Sandell, JH, Wang, W and Kaplan, HJ. IAA creates an inducible model of retinal degeneration in swine. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) #3622, 2009.
- Rizzo, JF, Chen, J., Shire, D., Gingerich, M, Sandell, J, and Cogan, S. Collective summary of in vivo experiments of subretinal implantation of microfabricated electrode arrays in pigs. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) #4746, 2009.