Louis W. Sullivan, M.D. (1933- )
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Louis W. Sullivan graduated magna cum laude from Morehouse College in 1954 and earned his medical degree, cum laude, from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) in 1958. He completed fellowships in pathology from 1960-61 at Massachusetts General Hospital and in hematology from 1961-64 at Thorndike Memorial Research Laboratories of Harvard Medical School at Boston City Hospital.
From 1964 to 1966, he was Assistant Professor of Medicine (Hematology Division) at Seton Hall College of Medicine in Jersey City, N.J. In 1966, he became Co-Director of Hematology at Boston University Medical Center and founded the Boston University Hematology Service at Boston City Hospital a year later. Sullivan joined BUSM in 1966 and remained until 1975, rising to the rank of Professor of Medicine.
In 1975, Sullivan became the founding Dean and Director of the Medical Education Program at Morehouse College. The program became The School of Medicine at Morehouse College in 1978, admitting its first 24 students to a two-year program in the basic medical sciences. In 1981, the school became independent from Morehouse College and became Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM), with Sullivan as its Dean and first President.
Sullivan left MSM in 1989 to accept an appointment by then-President George H.W. Bush as Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. In this post, Sullivan managed the federal agency responsible for the major health, welfare, food and drug safety, medical research and income security programs serving the American people.
In January 1993, he returned to MSM and resumed the office of President. He stepped down in 2002, taking the title of President Emeritus.