Field Specific Advisors
Field-Specific Advisors (FSA) are an important part of the 3rd and 4th year BUSM student’s medical education. FSAs are responsible for helping mentor and guide students toward residency and are meant to serve as a supplement to the student’s Academy Advisors.
ROLE OF FSAs
· Be well informed about their field, the demands of residency training programs and know the caliber of various programs around the country.
· Meet with their advisees and assist them with selecting and approving their 3rd and/or 4th year schedule.
· Assist the student with the selection of audition electives in their anticipated field of study, if appropriate.
· Help the student realistically assess their own competitiveness within their prospective specialty
· Help the student choose the most appropriate residency programs based on the student’s personal profile, board scores, academic performance, etc.
Students are responsible for contacting their FSA to schedule appointments for advising and for informing FSAs of deadlines for approving/submitting their schedules.
SELECTING AN FSA
As you move through your required 3rd year clerkships, keep in mind those physicians with whom you have worked well or have built a relationship with. They may serve as a good FSA when it comes time for you to select one. The Academies of Advisors maintains a database of those physicians who have graciously donated their time to mentor students as FSAs.
3rd year students will be able to select their FSA after their class meeting in the spring. Students can only have one FSA assigned at a time, but are able to change their FSA at any time if they choose to go into another specialty. It is perfectly okay to have an assigned FSA and meet with other physicians if you’re trying to decide between specialties. However only your OFFICIALLY ASSIGNED FSA will be allowed to sign off on your schedule.
To select an FSA, please use the Field Specific Advisor Submission Form If there is a particular physician you would like to request, please type in their name in the space provided. If the physician is not currently in our database as an FSA, the Academies Coordinator (Amelia Allard) will contact them via email to inform them that you have requested them as your FSA.
FORGOT WHO YOUR ADVISOR IS?